Monday, May 11, 2009

strawberry chiffon shortcake


My Mom said her favorite dessert was Strawberry Shortcake. I would have guessed that it was something chocolate, but apparently I would have been wrong. So to honor the lady who gave birth to me, I decided to make her favorite dessert. Thankfully the trusted Deb, of Smitten Kitchen, had a great Strawberry Chiffon Shortcake recipe.


Admittedly I was a little nervous to try a chiffon cake, but it turned out better than expected. It was light and fluffy, sweet with a light hint of lemon, and more moist than an angel food cake. The fresh whipped cream with powder sugar was yummy, a little over whipped and, uh slightly brown. Oops. *Note to self: Use clear vanilla when making whipped cream.*


I would make this cake again. It was light and fresh and surprisingly not too hard to make. For those with mature taste buds make it as Deb instructs. For those immature like me (ie: you like good ol' Hershey chocolate better than that fancy foreign stuff) I might try to make it with cool whip. Yum. I like cool whip.

2 comments:

Heather Bigley said...

My newest favorite cake topping is whipped cream. Who needs frosting when you can whip up cream in like 3 minutes? And add any flavor you want..lemon extract or vanilla or almond or peppermint even.

The only problem is that you have to eat the cake pretty fast because the cream doesn't last more than 24 hours usually. But is that really a problem?

Nate and Annie said...

Looks delish!